Sunday, April 29, 2012

I can't take it anymore!

I've officially had it.  I'm starting a blog because I just can't handle the crimes against women this state is perpetuating on us, with their misogynistic laws and unjust treatment of us in the media.  I've been ranting on Facebook for a while now, but I feel like this GOP War on Women is too big for FB ranting alone.  It's too big for the national media alone, as well, but whatever I can add to it will be worthwhile.  


There have been a lot of things going on in the AZ legislature lately to inspire this rage, but yesterday I attended the Unite Against the War on Women march in Phoenix to help be a part of the solution.  It was amazing upwards of 500 people showed up to throw their support behind women's rights in this backward state.  Buses of supporters from Tucson came, and the lawn was covered in picketers with signs, people collecting signatures (to recall Jan Brewer, among other things,) and the Pro-Choice groups NOW and NARAL were represented, as well.  We had a stage, live entertainment, guest speakers including Democratic state Senator Linda Lopez of District 29, and we held our ground for over 4 hours.  For a rally put together in such a short amount of time, it was really quite impressive.


And for our efforts, we were covered by ONE media source.  Thank you, Phoenix New Times, for covering important events like this.  And Fox 10 Phoenix?  Oh, they showed up.  They pulled out their camera and then....aired nothing on us.  Instead, they covered the Arpaio "rally," a gathering of ultraconservatives with about 200 attendees.  Really?  Yes, really.  This gathering my friend said looked like, "it had been put together on the back of a napkin" was deemed more important than fighting for women's rights by Fox 10 News.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the ineptitude of Fox in exploring and uncovering real news in the world, but I suppose I had higher expectations of local coverage than I had in the national media.  I'll make sure not to expect that next time.


Phoenix New Times article:


http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/04/az-unite-women-rally-draws-hundreds-to-az-capitol.php


Fox 10's coverage of the Arpaio "rally":


http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/sheriff-joe-arpaio-supporters-rally-04282012

No comments:

Post a Comment